Friday 13 March 2009

Surrounded by hats...


Went to see the Hats yesterday. It was fabulous. Though for a different reason that I thought it would be. I thought I would see lots of amazing, crazy hats but it was more a history of the hat. There were some truly outstanding hats but most were day hats still beautiful but not the wow factor I thought there would be. I think I'm lucky in that when I worked for Philip Treacy I was surrounded by amazing creations every day. Some days I would have to help sort the archive of hats to find a particular one to send off. I got to touch the history and see the beauty up close. I've been spoilt. The hats that were my favourite yesterday I knew were Philip's without even having to look. I think Stephen Jones is incredible too, of course. But its like vanilla and chocolate you like both but you prefer one. But without Stephen Jones there would be no Philip Treacy so we have a lot to be thankful for.

Surrounded by hats yesterday I started to draw. I felt so inspired so free. When I saw the jewellery I don't feel so inspired. I admire it and think its stunning. But there is something about a hat which truly grabs me. It the freedom to create whatever you wish. Its the different techniques you can employ. Its the space thats there to be filled. Everyone can wear a hat and everyone does at some point.  You feel you need a special occasion a wedding, the races but you don't you should wear one whenever the mood takes you. People yesterday were wearing hats and it made me smile. I wear jewellery everyday I feel naked without it. But a hat can transform you...you always notice people in a hat. 

When Sex and The City premiered in London last year all the ladies looked stunning. There was Vivenne Westwood, Calvin Klein, Vintage Guy Laroche and Alexandra McQueen. But all everybody was talking about was Sarah Jessica Parker and her Philip Treacy hat.  

It created a moment and so much buzz. Lots of people didn't like it but they were still talking about it. The hat was on show yesterday along with many famous creations. I always find that exciting to see something which is famous, to me, in real life. Sometimes it can take my breathe away.

So whilst the exhibition did not have that wow factor I was expecting it was still pretty intense. What I wasn't expecting was his drawings. They were the real highlight to me his lightness of touch and the way he draws his ideas and designs are exquisite. I was inspired by lines on a page and by true creativity. Stephen Jones has done an incredible job. He has brought hats to the mainstream. The exhibition was packed yesterday and if more people start to see and admire beautiful hats and see the hard work they entail long may he continue. 

No comments: